Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where to Eat Vegan: Quiet Storm - Pittsburgh PA



Quiet Stormis a cute little vegetarian and vegan diner in the East End of Pittsburgh. Tess and Jesse brought me here my last day in Pittsburgh and we all enjoyed a quick meat free meal. While the burger was calling my name and the home-fries piled with tofu scramble and seitan were tempting, I opted for the Cheesy Snake. A hoagie topped with seitan, queso sauce, red onions, lettuce, and tomato. If you are looking at the picture above you may be saying to yourself...."ugh...where is the cheese and seitan?" A valid question but rest assured under all that fluffy lettuce was indeed the gooey seitan I had hoped for. This dish was actually pretty good. It was served with a side of black bean and corn salad which was simple but tasty. My main regret - not getting a milkshake!

On my next trip to Pittsburgh I will definately want to swing through here again because so much on the menu looked good. Be aware, they have three different menus: weekday, Saturday and then the Sunday brunch. They all look varied and delicious but you may want to see what your options are before you choose a day to go.

Some of the things I had the option of eating and would certainly have done so were I able to eat as much food as an elephant:
Vegan queso and chips, the VHF home-fries (smashed red potatoes, seisage, tofu, veggies and red pepper mayo or queso on top), Ginger Sunflower (peanut ginger sauce over brown rice, scrambled tofu, broccoli, sweet potatoes and sunflowers) Boystown Combo (brown rice, kale, scrambled tofu and roasted veggies with sesame or tahini sauce) the Banh Mi sandwich.

But lemme talk about brunch. UGH why did I not go on a weekend to experience brunch. Nyam (Jamaican inspired cornmeal and coconut pudding with roasted sweet potatoes, bananas and cinnamon maple syrup, served with seitan sausage patties and fruit) Biscuits and Gravy, the Black and Gold burrito (scrambled tofu, black beans, roasted veggies, taters and onion gravy) and the Pancho burrito (kale, brown rice, chickpeas, mushrooms and tahini sauce). These all sound delicious. Guess I'll have to go back!

This cafe has ample space and was inviting and comfortable with its eclectic mix of tables, chairs and hanging lamps. I would had love to have tried their desserts as well but such is life.

PS If you go to Quite Storm say hi to the cute bearded guy behind the counter for me. I was too shy to do so myself.





No comments: