Saturday, June 27, 2009

Home-made Pesto



Pesto is delish and it's a prominent feature in lots of veggie sammys and other foods because its so flavorful. I always bought pre-made pesto at the store but now that I have a food processor I thought, shit sonnn, I could make that.

And so I did.




Basil Pesto (Makes about a cup)
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
Handful of spinach leaves (this is not traditional and I got the idea from another blogger and it turned out to be a good tip)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parm or Romano
1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 med. garlic cloves, minced
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

1. Combine the basil, spinach and pine nuts in the blender and pulse a few times. Add the garlic and pulse a few times more.
2. Slowly add olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is running. Stop, scrape down the sides. Add grated cheese, pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.




I made some awesome fish which I ate before I could photograph. I also made some flatbread to go with a couscous dish I made a few days back.

No comments: