Monday, December 9, 2013

Where to Eat Vegan: Franktuary - Pittsburgh, PA



I went through a very long phase of my childhood where all I wanted to eat was hot dogs. Visiting my  grandmother was even more of a treat because she never failed to make my breakfast hot dog, much to my mother's fear that I would only eat hot dogs for the rest of my life. 

I grew up. My diet diversified and veganized and after a while hot dogs were no longer a part of my life. But the nostalgic, childish desire for hot dogs has kinda stuck around. Enter the grown up hot dogs served at Franktuary.


Veggie dogs and sausgages, piled high with potato sticks, kraut, veggie chili, gravy, mango salsa and all the darn mustards you can think of. Finish it off with a lemon mousse and you've still spent less than 10 bucks. 

These are no microwaved hot dogs on a potato roll from my childhood. The Negishi hot dog is piled with seaweed, pickled ginger, wasabi mayo and sesame. Or get a side of the pickle platter and pile your dog with kimchi and picked veggies. Or go Memphis style with BBQ and potato sticks. 

Hot dogs not your thing? Try the Beetballs made with tempeh, lentils and veggies on a bun.

In their most recent blog post Franktuary answered all the most pressing of veggie questions and even provided us with a list of all their vegetarian and vegan options. A surprise on the list: poutine gravy! 


Chipotle Vegan Sausage with Mango Salsa on the Whole Wheat Bun. 

What I loved most about Franktuary is that I could go out to dinner with my family and feel normal. I don't expect my family to all go to a vegetarian or vegan restaurant with me (though it would be nice!) so it's amazing to find a place that accommodates us all and our love of hot dogs. 



There are two locations for Franktuary plus a food truck. True to Pittsburgh style the two locations use repurposed spaces. One an old garage and one an old church. The Lawrenceville location is the one I have visited and found it open and airy with cool touches like the pressed tin bar and the food counter along the expansive garage door windows. 


Lawrenceville:
3810 Butler Street
Pitt, Pa 15201

Downtown:
325 Oliver Avenue
Pitt, PA 15222





No comments: