Saturday, December 20, 2008

The surprising kindness of girls

I have never had a lot of female friends growing up. I seem to relate better to guys, to enjoy their company more. I would grow tired of the gossiping or petty cat fighting involved with female friendships and seek solace in the uncomplicated male friendships that allowed me to be sarcastic and sometimes crude without them passing judgment on me. But, lately, although I have been getting my fair share of Bug and Jon time (friends from way back) I have also come to realize that I have some really cool female friends. I have seen over the past month, that when girls are called upon to support their female friends they can do quite an amazing job. Whether it is Pang going for walks with me or Erika scratching my back and kissing my head as I laze about at work or Chels telling me how much she admires me - even looks up to me - or Tess remembering me in her prayers. Its kinda cool. It's the feeling I had in middle school and high school of having girls I could talk to, hang out with, or shake it on the dance floor with, but without all that silly teenager stuff I remember. And sometimes there is the surprising kindness of girls you don't even know - like the girl at the bar the other night who when I introduced myself replied with "wow you're beautiful." Just something I thought of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, this is so true. and what's even more interesting is that i feel so much more admired when a girl tells me that she thinks i'm beautiful as opposed to a guy. i feel like it's genuine and it's without any sort of messed up intentions, you know? i had one girl randomly tell me that i was gorgeous out of nowhere in one of my classes and it was so incredibly sweet. it made me feel so loved. i really do look up to you lace. you mean a lot to me and always have. and i got you a super-meaningful gift this year that i hope you really like. i would love for us to be closer and hopefully when i'm done with school we can talk more and hang out more! :)

i miss you already.

Anonymous said...

awww! I know how ya feel Lacey! I never had a ton of super "bff" girlie friends. Waaaaay too much drama... waaaaay too much omg! But I'm glad to say I've got a good group of girls I can always count on too. :P I would say it's just high school... but I know some college groups of girls who I wouldn't be able to hang out with for too long before nausea would set in...

I know we've always been far away (maybe not in the future depending on where Jesse gets a job!), but I hope you know I'd always be here for you if you needed anything! :P Keeping you in my prayers when you need it most is the least of what I'd be willing to do for you!

PS- I've been bragging about your cool artsy-ness to a lot of my friends recently. :) Of our 'group' I'm the only really artsy/creative one of the bunch- so it's good to have another artsy influence in my life! :P

Lacey said...

thanks guys :) you all mean a lot to me