Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Exploring Home: Part 3



So it turns out that I kinda went to the same museums over and over as a kid and completely missed out on a lot of great ones in DC. Or maybe I didn't miss out, I just had to wait to grow up to appreciate them. In any case I went to the Archives Gallery to see the What's Cooking Uncle Sam? exhibit. There were a lot of cool old videos and posters of things like Vitamin Donuts and also these beet and potted chicken posters - which I wasn't supposed to photograph I was told after taking the second one. Oops



Did you know that Meatless Mondays started back in the early 1900s? During World War I, the Food Administration under Herbert Hoover promoted “Wheatless Wednesdays” and “Meatless Mondays.” If you haven't caught the exhibit left you still have time but don't wait too long, it closes January 3rd!



While Remi was visiting this past week I was sure to take him to the National Mall to see our monuments and visit a museum or two. Surprisingly, the places he wanted to visit were places I hadn't even been myself. We went to see the Supreme Court, spent an hour or two in the American History Museum and went inside the Library of Congress.


Muppets at the American History Museum




I had no idea how beautiful the inside of the Library of Congress would be and when we came out at closing we were rewarded with a beautiful DC sunset over the Capitol.



In truth I'm looking forward to the cold season a bit because I plan to visit all the museums and have them all to myself! Once the tourists empty out of the city I'll be able to walk around at my leisure and visit more places I haven't explored.

No comments: