Saturday, October 6, 2012

Where To Eat Vegan: The Cafe - Key West, FL


Tucked down on Southard street sits The Cafe. It would be easy to walk by The Cafe without even stopping to read them menu. An unassuming hand-painted sign and a casual blue-tiled exterior mask the vibrant colors, comfy couches and delicious vegan offerings you will find inside. Only the wooden sign in the window reading "vegan" might tip you off.

The Cafe came with high internet recommendation and a mention of vegan Key Lime Pie so of course Marty and I were eager to check it out.


After all the delicious raw food we had at Help Yourself we were ready for a little cooked decadence so we started off with the baked BBQ tofu wings. While not the most creative interpretation of wings I have seen these were straightforward and tasty and whet our appetite for the main course.


Marty went for the Couscous-Stuffed Acorn Squash. This little jewel was packed full of grains and veggies and served on a plate of wilted spinach. Now I must admit that it seemed a little strange to me to be eating such a Fall dish in April but I suppose in a place like Key West where Fall is a foreign concept you can eat stuffed squash any ole time you please! Perfectly cooked with just a little chewy bite still left in the couscous and a smooth, creamy texture to the bright orange flesh of the squash - I did my fair share of helping eat this dish.


Predictably, I went for the Veggie Burger with Sweet Potato Fries. The burger was dense and dotted with half mashed beans and I loved the fresh sprouts on the burger and the toasted ciabatta bread bun. Too often burgers crumble into tiny balls of veggie burger and unless you have a tough bun to hold them together it quickly turns into a knife and fork affair. This burger saved me the heartbreak of a burger and bun salad on my plate.


Unfortunately they did not have Key Lime Pie during my visit. Their desserts change frequently and Key Lime wasn't on that list for that day - though I might suggest it be a permanent menu item for the silly tourists (such as myself) who want to experience the joy of eating Key Lime Pie in Key West. That's not too much to ask is it?

Service was friendly, the atmosphere was cosy and the food was filling and well prepared. Thanks Key West for the great vegan food!

The Cafe

Location
509 Southard Street, Key West, Florida
305-296-5515

Hours
Mon - Sat: 11am - 10pm




No comments: