Thursday, June 7, 2012

Where to Eat Vegan: Champs Bakery - Williamsburg, NY




Champs Family Bakery is a hip little vegan spot in Williamsburg

My first trip to Champs was a hurried morning stop-in for a vegan donut. Dun-Well Donuts, which are sold at Champs are: 1. Amazing 2. Vegan! and 3. Made in Brooklyn. Unfortunately I threw my donut in a bag to transport it on the metro so I didn't take a picture of it but I can attest to its tastiness. Champs is just one of several locations where Dun-Well sells their donut, and next time I hope to visit their main digs.



While I was there for my donut I noticed that they had lots of brunch items on their menu and so on the last day of my trip I went to try some of their food.

Does anyone else feel completely overwhelmed with the choices at vegan restaurants? It's anxiety inducing! While I had plenty of time to make a calm, rational choice for my breakfast at Champs, I let myself get bogged down by all the choices and instead of going for the Croque Monsieur or the Monte Cristo I opted for the Cowgirl Scramble.



Which is not to say I did not enjoy my scramble! Tofu, kidney beans, bell peppers, corn, potatoes, cheese and avocado piled on a thick piece of texas toast - how can you go wrong? In retrospect I wish I had gone for one of the more decadent vegan options like the Croque or one of the more healthful veggie bowls. I played it safe though.



I loved the laid back vibe here and the big yellow booths and I would love to go back and attend one of their Drive-In Dine-In events. Every last Sunday of the month Champs plays a movie and creates a matching menu. For example one month they played "Good Morning, Vietnam" and served it with vegan shrimp spring rolls, pho, and espresso flan. Last month they played "A Bronx Tale" and served a 3 course Italian menu. Fun!



Location:

176 Ainslie St
Brooklyn, NY

Hours:

Mon - Friday: 8am - 10pm
Saturday: 10am - 10pm
Sunday: 10am - 6pm




No comments: