Monday, July 9, 2012

Somewhere New: Memphis, TN

For the month of June I traveled with Rachel Lee to Tennessee and our first full day was spent in Memphis visiting her younger brother.

My main interest in Memphis was visiting the Lorraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated. Unfortunately the museum and hotel were closed on Tuesday but we did get to take some photographs outside.





Next we walked down to Beale Street to check out Honkey Tonk central. The walk down seemed like window after window of abandoned buildings or recently vacated store fronts. This is the first city where I thought to myself - Oh so this is what they mean when they say that the recession killed Main Street. Living in the DC area is like living in a bubble where things are constantly opening or expanding - not closing.







The highlight of downtown Memphis were these charming trollies. On the way back to the car we hopped one for $1.50 and enjoyed the breeze that helped cut through the stagnant TN heat.




My mother was very sad that I didn't go to Graceland while in Memphis but I told her that I would never go without her - she's the real Elvis lover.

Here are a few Instagrams from the day.




Next time I won't go on a Tuesday and I'll stay to experience the nightlife!








No comments: