Thursday, March 18, 2010

Coast to Cote Week 10





Piles - our unplanned theme of the week. Enjoy!


Pang: It's really not a secret to anyone that I absolutely love piles...piles of bricks, piles of sticks, piles of old photographs...you get the idea. Many of the self portraits from my 365 project are taken of me climbing them, standing next to, or on top of piles. I'd like to think that if I could take layers off, I would be able to find something magical hidden within those piles. My ultimate dream came true when I assisted Molly during one of her photo shoots over the weekend. The location of the shoot was at this junk yard right here in Shepherdstown. The owner of the yard actually calls it his "treasure yard" and he keeps various things in it, like old carriages, trunks, bicycles, ornate frames, and even a Model T Ford! I was FLOORED! This place was like heaven to me. PILES AND PILES OF STUFF! You might think I'm weird (I don't care), but my senses were overloaded. Each time I looked at something I found something else I hadn't seen at first glance. I can't wait to get back there and take some more photographs...with permission of course!

Lacey: Saturday I went on a little day trip to Paris with some friends and we decided to check out the Catacombs. The combs house more than 6 million remains dating back to the 18th century. Entering into the "empire of death" (according to the sign above the door) it is at once spectacular and overwhelming. Honestly it had a bit of a Disneyworld feel to it. Could all those bones possibly be real? Obviously others were also getting the playland vibe because an obnoxiously loud German speaking teenager behind me actually picked up a bone! As we wound through row after row of bones stacked high the feeling in the catacombs became more and more oppressive. We were happy to finally see the light at the end of the empire.

No comments: