Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Creamy Goat Cheese Pasta with Zucchini

I know what you might be thinking. Do you really think Goat Cheese covered pasta is a good idea for your lactose intolerant guts to be digesting Lacey? I know, I know. BUT. I'm in the undisputed kingdom of cheese and truth be told - I lurve me some cheese. So yeah. I'm gunna eat some cheese every now and then. PLUS, Goat cheese has less lactose, as does aged cheese. The best cheese for a lactosy is aged hard goat cheese (moisture equals lactose). I ignored my giggling guts and popped some lactose pills and thoroughly enjoyed this dish.





Ingredients
12 ounces (3/4 of the box) linguine or other pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound zucchini, sliced into thin half-moons
kosher salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

Directions
1.Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and set it aside, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
2. While this is going on heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the zucchini is tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3.Add all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese to the pasta. Add the reserved pasta water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir until creamy. Serve the pasta topped with the zucchini, lemon zest, and the remaining cheese.


It looks pretty to serve it this way - but then...


stir that baby up so it gets all melty!



Leftovers for days to come!



And for dessert? I tucked into the apple pound cake that I bought at the Frairies des Petits Ventres. Really good. Kinda like applesauce bread but more pound cake like and buttery.

3 comments:

Tess Carter said...

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. I'm totally stealing this idea even though jesse will be annoyed with the words 'zucchini' and 'goat' being in his dinner

Lacey said...

Haha...is Jesse a picky eater or just a cautious one? Really if you pick a mild goat cheese Im sure he won't be able to not like it :)

Tess Carter said...

both i think. I also think it'd be best not to tell him what's in it lol. I've made more unusual dishes before & he will kindof eat them to be nice but it's clear he doesn't like them, so I stopped trying anything he might not like a long time ago lol